You are here
Knowledge of current tools for building lexicons
Lexicography (creation of dictionaries) is a vast field with many specialties. This competency covers the usage and training of users to use current lexicography tools to create, fill, edit, and link lexical entries. While a language technologist is expected to teach lexicography tools, lexicography workshops should always be held with a competent linguist familiar with the language family who can help the participants with the details of analysis and classification.
Able to consult others in building and using lexicons.
The following activities have been identified to achieve comptency in Lexical Tools in levels from Learner to Expert.
Participate in lexicography training event as a teaching assistant..
Prepare and teach lexicography tools module as part of a training event.
Lead or prepare a lexicography tool training event.
Lead lexicography tools trainings for linguistics consultants.
Tasks relevant to Lexical Tools
- Create and edit a lexical database
- Add to a lexical database using rapid word collection
- Group lexical entries by semantic domain
- Create and edit a corpus of natural texts
- Find text corpus words in the lexicon
- Run a concordance search on a text corpus
- Digitally record and play back utterances
- Transcribe audio/video with time-aligned annotations
- Identify all sounds in the phone inventory and disambiguate sequences
- Organize all phonemes into an inventory and identify contrasting pairs
- Mark data for stress, intonation and tone
- Analyze the data for syllable structure
- Interlinearize natural texts
- Parse texts to identify underlying morphology
- Publish linguistic data in a structured way