You are here
A basic need to do any language work on the computer is a font that will display the needed characters. Fonts that come with your operating system may have a certain number of characters already, but the SIL fonts frequently have a wider variety of characters.
The Latin/Cyrillic fonts differ mostly in the typeface. Charis, Doulos and Gentium are serif fonts. Andika is a sans-serif typeface designed for new readers with easily distinguished letter forms.
Reading App Builder helps you build customized apps for Android and iOS smartphones and tablets. You can use it to make apps containing picture books, health and community development materials, song books, illustrated stories and libraries of easy-to-read books for new readers – each with the option of synchronizing text and audio, highlighting each phrase as it is read. The app menus, icon, splash screen and colors can all be customized for your language and culture.
All the content can be packaged into the app, so app users can have full access even without a live Internet...
Bibledit is a multi-platform Bible editor, providing tools to the Bible translator.
- Native USFM text editor, several texts can be opened at once
- Project notes editor
- Chapter and book outline view
- Resizeable and moveable windows
- Easy application of styles
- Styles editor
- Selection and display of project notes by various parameters
- Online help
- Backup and restore
- Import and export
- Resources display
- Spelling check ...
Map Creator simplifies the creation of language-specific maps, charts, and diagrams for Bible lessons and world geography.
- 80 maps, charts, and diagrams for chronological Bible teaching and world geography
- Powerful editing features
- Create translatable maps, charts, diagrams, and timelines from your own images
- Runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and the most popular distributions of Linux
- User interface and predefined map content in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Indonesian
- Translate once: translations for ...
Displays lexicons from Paratext interlinearizer in an easy searchable form.
What you can do with the list
Glossy shows you the quick lexicon generated from the interlinearizer.
- Search: Type anything in the search box at the top to search for it.
- Starts with: Type one letter to show only words starting with that letter.
- Sort: Click a column heading to search by that column.
- Find this: Click on any word to search for that word. ...
In an attempt to provide a good language learning tool, the Language Learning department of SIL has been looking at Anki and various Addons to provide a good tool for learners:
Anki is a popular flashcard program. Their website says:
Anki is a program which makes remembering things easy. Because it's a lot more efficient than traditional study methods, you can either greatly decrease your time spent studying, or greatly increase the amount you learn.
Anyone who needs to remember things in their daily life can benefit from Anki. Since it is content-...
Parser and Writer for Syntax
The Parser And Writer for Syntax Starter Kit is affectionately also called PAWS.
As the name of the starter kit indicates, the Parser and Writer for Syntax (PAWS) has two purposes and four outputs:
- The Writer produces a rough draft of a grammar of the syntax of your language, based on the answers to the questions in each section of PAWS. This output file is in XLingPaper xml format. (See https://software.sil.org/xlingpaper ...
Can create and manage video files and written annotations for a sign language dictionary. Signs can be indexed according to sign structure, hand configurations, general movement parameters, and non-manual signs so they can be searched for. Signs can also be searched for by written language strings. Written annotations can be added in several different languages. Also other video files for sign language annotations and comments can be added to the entries.
Video, images and text can explain what a sign means and why it was chosen.
In beta, not yet released, but it is...
SUMMARY: A Unicode typesetting system based on TeX
DETAILS: XeTeX is a typesetting system based on a merger of Donald Knuth's TeX system with Unicode and modern font technologies and is still in the experimental stage of its development.
XeTeX is a command-line tool, like standard TeX and pdfTeX processors. It is most commonly used via a graphical environment such as TeXShop (Mac OS X), KILE (Linux), WinEDT (Windows), or others.
An audio editor that runs on all major platforms. It is oriented more toward music than phonetics and has only limited analysis tools. However, it can do noise reduction and has some useful editing tools, including the ability to modify individual samples and to change the amplitude envelope.