You are here
Knowledge of current recommended translation software.
For many Language Technologists, the input, verification, management and publishing of translated data will be a core activity of the parent organisations. As LT responds to the needs of other domains, this means that this competency is among the first competencies that should be studied.
Able to consult others in effective use of translation tools.
The following activities have been identified to achieve comptency in Translation Tools in levels from Learner to Expert.
Participate in translation training event as a teaching assistant.
Prepare and teach translation tools module as part of training event.
Lead or prepare a translation tool training event.
Lead translation tools trainings for translation consultants.
Tasks relevant to Translation Tools
- General Translation
- Adapt translation from a related language
- Auto complete from translation memory
- Fuzzy matching from translation memory
- Maintain and access a glossary or terminology database
- Dictionary lookups
- Spell checking capability
- Can share translation memory with multiple translators
- Share comments and review among team members
- Manage translation workflow
- In-document translation interface, while looking at the original in context.
- Allow creation of a back translation for accuracy checking
- Provide an in-document translation interface, preserving formatting of the original.
- Parallel text alignment, phrase by phrase, or sentence by sentence.
- Scripture Translation
- Access synchronized reference texts and commentaries
- Adapt text from a related language
- Access biblical source language texts
- Tools for source language search and analysis
- Translate and edit Scripture manually
- Computer assisted translation of Scripture
- Create oral drafts and transcribe texts
- Facilitate translation team communication with notes
- Document biblical term rendering decisions
- Apply Scripture markup tagging of text (USFM)
- Produce appropriate outputs for testing/sharing
- Verify the consistency and quality of the text
- Validate Scripture references for hyperlinking
- Verify that key terms have been used consistently
- Verify that parallel passages are consistent
- Compare text with previous versions
- Interlinearize the translation
- Create and manage a back translation
- Create and manage peripheral materials
- Maintain integrity of the text by tracking changes and managing/resolving conflicts
- Facilitate archiving of Biblical texts to the Digital Bible Library
- Manage project planning and task assignment