You are here
The PrimerPrep program is designed to help you:
- analyze texts in a language to discover the words and letters used in the language, and how frequently they occur
- specify what to analyze, by selecting which words to analyze, how to count them, and how to break them apart (with affixes)
- provide a suggested teaching order, i.e. the order in which these letters might be introduced in a primer, and show you what words from your texts are available in each lesson
- modify the order of letters in the ...
Vocabulary Manager is a multimedia vocabulary learning tool, like an electronic flash card system with audio. VM allows you to create a database of vocabulary items with an image and two audio recordings (one for a 'citation' form and one for the 'in context' form) for each item. As you build the database, you can practice the words, and test yourself in terms of comprehension, production, and spelling. When you want to share the database and audio and picture files, the program will package it up for easy sharing. The new users can then easily modify the database to meet their own language learning needs.
Random Sound Inventory is a program that generates consonant and vowel sound inventories consisting, respectively, of random sets of IPA symbols. It also generates sets of hypothetical words that consist of random sequences of these symbols, with no constraints on their combinatory possibilities. It is intended as a teaching device to introduce the subject matter of phonology by illustrating how real language sound systems differ from simple collections of sounds with unrestricted patterning. For comparison purposes, the program can display phonemic inventories from four real languages: English, Korean, (modern) Hebrew, and Thai.
This add-on inserts linguistic examples into LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice documents. It reads XML files from FieldWorks and Toolbox.
Other features include:
- Data Conversion using SIL Converters.
- Manage the list of grammatical abbreviations in a document.
- Practice learning different scripts by typing.
No longer available. The company, Transparent Language, offers a commercial service for language learning that is available through some libraries and academic institutions, or by an individual subscription.
Synphony Community Edition is public domain software that assists in sequencing literacy training using intelligent analysis of wordlists in any language. SynPhony CE provides a user-friendly interface to help literacy teachers find teachable words to present to learners based on the letters that students already know.
Quizlet is a website that lets you create flashcard type quizzes, and then quizzes you on them. It maintains statistics on what you've answered correctly, and can test you in a variety of ways, such as how many can you get correct in a fixed time,
Requires creating an account, you can create a profile on the site, or use a Google or Facebook account to authenticate.
A basic account is free, letting you create text based quizzes. The site accepts Unicode input. A $15 per year subscription (Quizlet Plus) lets you record audio and upload pictures, a $25 subscription (Quizlet Teacher) allows audio and pictures, lets you create quizzes for your students, and see how they do on them. Subscribing also hides the ads on the site.
FieldWorks consists of software tools that help you manage linguistic and cultural data. FieldWorks supports tasks ranging from the initial entry of collected data through to the preparation of data for publication, including:
- dictionary development
- interlinearization of texts
- cultural records
- bulk editing of many fields
- morphological analysis
Speech Analyzer is a computer program for recording and acoustic analysis of speech sounds. You can use it to do the following tasks:
- Perform fundamental frequency, spectrographic and spectral analysis, and duration measurements.
- Add phonemic, orthographic, tone, and gloss transcriptions to phonetic transcriptions in an interlinear format.
- Perform ethnomusicological analysis of music recordings.
- Use slowed playback, repeat loops and overlays to assist with perception and mimicry of sounds for language learning.
This program is designed to help the user learn to recognize, transcribe, and produce the sounds of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).