The Phonology Template Editor and Search Tool was developed to assist with the phonological analysis of a Bantu language. The program:
- generates a phonology report;
- carries out various types of searches of phonetic data;
- serves as an interactive environment for writing and editing a phonology paper;
- generates an electronic publishable report (HTML formatted) from a generated phonology report;
- interfaces with Speech Analyzer;
- allows creation of user-...
Scribus is an Open Source program that brings award-winning professional page layout to Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, OS/2 Warp 4/eComStation and Windows desktops with a combination of "press-ready" output and new approaches to page layout. Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, Spot Colors, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.
SUMMARY: WorldPad is a text editor that can display text in complex scripts using Graphite. It is an SIL product and is distributed as part of FieldWorks.
A unification-based syntactic parser available individually, but more commonly distributed as part of PC-PARSE.
For more information, use this contact.
UnicodeCCount is a quick-and-dirty Unicode-aware replacement for Ccount, the character count utility. Written in Perl, the program is available both as the Perl source (requires Perl 5.8.1 or newer) and as a stand-alone Windows EXE.
As this program is distributed at no cost, the SIL individual who created it and upgrades it is unable to provide a commercial level of personal technical support. He is interested in hearing from users, however, and will try to resolve problems that are reported to him. You can send feedback to...
Outdated: SIL says Translation Editor is now minimally supported. Use Paratext instead.
Translation Editor helps Bible translators edit and check Biblical text in a vernacular language.
In Translation Editor, members of a translation team can do any of the following:
Bibledit is a multi-platform Bible editor, providing tools to the Bible translator.
- Native USFM text editor, several texts can be opened at once
- Project notes editor
- Chapter and book outline view
- Resizeable and moveable windows
- Easy application of styles
- Styles editor
- Selection and display of project notes by various parameters
- Online help
- Backup and restore
- Import and export
- Resources display
- Spelling check ...
A basic need to do any language work on the computer is a font that will display the needed characters. Fonts that come with your operating system may have a certain number of characters already, but the SIL fonts frequently have a wider variety of characters.
The Latin/Cyrillic fonts differ mostly in the typeface. Charis, Doulos and Gentium are serif fonts. Andika is a sans-serif typeface designed for new readers with easily distinguished letter forms.
This add-on inserts linguistic examples into LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice Writer documents. It reads XML files from Phonology Assistant, Toolbox, and FieldWorks.
Other features include:
- Data Conversion using SIL Converters.
- Manage the list of grammatical abbreviations in a document.
- Practice learning different scripts by typing.
RegExPal is a utility that works alongside of ParaTExt to do powerful search and replace on scripture text.
- It lets you see your "find" go to work as you build it (it's dynamic).
- It let's you see problems with your expression while you are typing it letting you know by a blue highlighter when it is invalid or not yet complete (because more of the expression is required).
- When you do a replace you get to see a before and after view of the "replace" (one at a time) so you can see if it is working the way you want it to.